Attilio Fiandrotti joins the Multimedia team as Associate Professor in Immersive Video. Welcome!
We started a working group about using machine learning and deep learning techniques for compression problem, check it out here!
The paper on power allocation for LVC systems has been accepted into ICASSP’18. Congratulations to the first author Shuo Zheng!
Our next seminar!
Date : Friday Feb 2nd 2018
Hour : 13h30
Room : C48
Title : Virtual Reality: from Neuroscience to Media Streaming
Immersive Virtual Reality is transitioning, at a remarkable pace, from a tool for fundamental research in cognitive neuroscience, therapy and rehabilitation to a consumer product for training, education and entertainment.
In this talk I will review some highlights of this remarkable transition. The talk will have three parts.
1) Review some of the known principles and well estabhised mechanisms of Virtual Reality science, as they can be found in the relevant litterature,
2) Introduce some of the ongoing initiatives in terms of capture technologies, encoding mechanisms, and delivery infrastructure fostered by the transformation of VR into a consumer product
3) Discuss, hopefully in interaction with the audience, where we are heading, what might happen in the near future, and what we can do to address the challenges and oportunities associated with this medium.
Dr. Joan Llobera (male) is an electrical engineer and an academic researcher working at the conjunction of cognitive sciences and virtual reality. He obtained a double diploma in Electrical Engineering (Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya and Télécom Paris), holds 2 Masters, one in cognitive sciences (EHESS) and another in software (UPC), and in 2012 obtained a PhD at the Universitat de Barcelona on the topic of Stories in Virtual Reality, which received a Cum Laude qualification. He also worked as a postdoc researcher at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne. Since September 2015 he is a senior researcher at the i2CAT foundation.
Télécom ParisTech recruits
An associate professor in Immersive Video
46 rue Barrault- 75013 PARIS
Candidature deadline : 10 nov. 2017
See also here (French).
– a detailed curriculum vitae
– a cover letter
– a description of the past activities of the candidate in teaching (initial and continuing training) and research
– the main publications
– the names and addresses of two qualified persons who can give an informed opinion on the applicant
– a succinct teaching and research project (maximum 3 pages)
- PhD; or
- Master Degree (or equivalent) and 5+ years of experience ; or
- Professional with 8+ years of experience
- Video compression; and
- Immersive video
- University-level teaching experience; and
- Good level of English; and
- Good level of French, or engagement to reach a good level as soon as possible
- Statistical model of multi-dimensional signals;
- Video streaming;
- Video quality
- Digital holography
- Programming languages
- Teaching by projects and problems
Very soon we will open a position of Associate Professor (specialty: immersive video) in our team at Telecom-ParisTech. We are looking for brilliant PhD, preferably with 1y+ of post-doctoral experience. More experienced candidates are also welcome. The detailed call will follow soon.
Research domains: immersive video, video coding, video transmission, video quality.
Background: signal processing, networking, applied maths.
Potential candidate can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Three talks are in program for our last group seminar’s day (June 12th 2017) :
- Iulia Mitrica : “Aircraft screen content compression”
- Belén Luque Lopez : “Super resolution on 3D point cloud using CNNs”
- Theodoros Karagkioules : “A Comparative Case Study of HTTP Adaptive Streaming Algorithms in Mobile Networks”